This was one of my favorite takeaways from my yoga teacher training. I learned how to fold and store a yoga blanket, properly. I probably enjoyed learning this so much because I generally like tidiness. I know not everyone is the same way, but I encourage you to take care when preparing your tools for practice, not only because I lovingly unfolded, and refolded each of the blankets in the studio when they arrived in the mail, but also so that they can support you when you need them the most. (It does make them look nice, too, and there's something to be said for leaving it nicely for the next person).
Here's how to do it the right way.
1. Lay it flat and open it up all the way:
2. Fold it in half, fringe-to-fringe:
3. Fold it in half, smooth edge-to-smooth edge:
4. Fold it in half, smooth edge-to-fringe:
5. Fold it in half, smooth edge-to-smooth edge, so that the fringe is on the outside of the fold: